a quick review from…well, the last time this was on a saturday: in the spirit of “don’t complain about something if you’re not prepared to do it better,” i noticed over the past couple of weeks two lists — one from wired and one from a blog i know not of called ink-stained amazon which i have to say is beautiful to look at it — that both purport to be ‘essential lists’ of ‘geek culture’ quotes.
2. Gareth Blackstock: “I am Gareth Blackstock; I am seriously unpleasant!” Chef!, can’t remember which episode. Something in Season 1, I feel.
3. The Player [to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern]: “Until next time.” Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
4. Leela [to someone attempting, foolishly, to grab her]: “Touch me again and I’ll fillet you.” Doctor Who, “The Sunmakers.”
5. Lola: “Burgundy. Dear God, tell me I’ve not inspired something burgundy.” Kinky Boots.
6. Cat: “I’m lookin’ nice. My shadow’s lookin’ nice. We’re a great team!” Red Dwarf, again, something in the first season.
7. Spongebob: “I came over to see if you wanted to go jellyfishing, but I can see you’re busy having an episode.” Spongebob Squarepants, something in the first season…er. I can’t admit to remembering the name of this episode but nothing from Chef! or Red Dwarf — I just can’t!
8. Han Solo: “Hey — it’s me.” Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
9. Jared Grace: “I was reading in a footlocker!” The Spiderwick Chronicles.
10. Sarah Connor: “Do I look like the mother of the future? I can’t even balance my checkbook!” Terminator.
11. Danny Archuleta: “It has not been a nice day!” Predator 2.
12. Ianto Jones: “Because I know everything. Also, it’s written on the bottom of the screen there.” Torchwood and I am ashamed to say, but I have no idea which episode it’s from. … Second season? Maybe? Oh, help.
13. Son of Mine: “He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing – the fury of the Time Lord – and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind.” Doctor Who, “Family of Blood.”
14. Sarah Jane Smith: “There are two types of people in the world. There’s people who panic — and then there’s us. Got it?” The Sarah Jane Adventures, “Invasion of the Bane.”
15. Eddie Izzard: “I have penis nonchalance, really.” Live at Wembley.
16. Sam Winchester: “You’re…afraid of flying?” Dean Winchester: “Why do you think I drive everywhere!” Supernatural, “Phantom Traveler.”
17. Willy Wonka: “Everything in this room is edible. Even I’m edible. But that, children, is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies.” Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
18. Dr. Frank N. Furter: “But isn’t it nice!” The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
19. Willow Rosenberg: “The library. Y’know — where the books live?” Buffy the Vampire Slayer, “Welcome to the Hellmouth.”
20. Reverend H.W. Smith: “This is God’s purpose, but not knowing the purpose is my portion of suffering.” Doc Cochran: “If this is His will, He is a son of a bitch.” Deadwood. Sometime around the end of the first season.
21. Carmen Ghia: “May I take your hats? And your swastikas?” The Producers.
22. Protagonist: “My name? Well, if you knew that, you’d be as smart as—” Layer Cake.
23. Nina Conti: “That’s a sweet voice on a monkey but with breasts it’s bloody sinister.”
24. Arthur Burns: “You shot me, Charlie. What’re you gonna do now?” The Proposition.
25. Norman: “What about me?!” The Dresser.
And I know I strayed a bit from my original self-issued mandate with 22, 24, and 25.
But…sue me, really. 🙂
They’re all amazing movies. If you haven’t seen them — why the hell are you still sitting here reading this? You have watching to do!